Cody Photographs
From Wyoming Tales and Trails

Home Big Horn Basin Black Hills Thermopolis Buffalo Cambria Casper-N. Platte Valley Centennial Cheyenne Chugwater Cody Encampment Evanston Deadwood Stage Douglas Dubois Ft. Bridger Ft. Fetterman Ft. Laramie Ghost Towns Tom Horn Jackson Kemmerer Lander Laramie Lusk Medicine Bow Photos II Photos IV Photos V Rawlins Rock Springs Rudafeha Mine Sheepherding Sheridan Sherman Shoshoni Superior USS Wyoming Yellowstone

Visit these other Photo Collections*
Casper College*
Union Pacific*
Big Piney, 1885-1920*

*Linked, use browser back button to return

Pahaska Tepee, Wapiti Valley near Cody

The Pahaska Lodge was built by Wm. F. Cody, in 1904 to serve tourists visiting Yellowstone. The term "Pahaska," meaning "Long Hair" was a name given Cody by Native Americans and popularized in the Dime Novels which made Cody famous. As an example, the name was used by Col. Prentiss Ingraham, in his account of the "Duel with Yellowhand" in his 1882 "Penny Dreadful," Adventures of Buffalo Bill from Boyhood to Manhood, Deeds of Daring, Scenes of Thrilling, Peril and Romantic Incidents in the Early Life of W. F. Cody, The Monarch of Bordermen, published by Beadle's Boy's Library of Sport, Story and Adventure.

Cody, of course, in the Wild West Show, made the most of it, and the Duel became more and more elaborate, so that ultimately it became like Cody was fighting all 500 Indians. An excerpt is printed below. The Chapter begins with a description of General Merritt, on a forced march, near present day Van Tassell, Wyoming, with Cody several miles ahead acting as a scout, observing two horsemen who are about to be attacked by the Indians:

Discovering the Indians, he at the same time beheld two horsemen whom he saw to be whites, riding along unconscious of the presence of foes.

He knew that they must be scouts bearing dispatches, and at once determined to save them for they were riding in a direction down one valley that would bring them directly upon the red-skins, who had already seen them, and had sent a force of thirty warriors out to intercept them. Instantly Buffalo Bill dashed over the ridge of the hill that concealed him from the view of the Cheyennes, and rode directly toward the band going to attack the two white horsemen.

They halted suddenly at sight of him, but, seeing that he was alone, they started for him with wild yells. But still he kept on directly toward them, until within range, when he opened upon them with his matchless Evans rifle, a thirty-four-shot repeater, and a hot fight began, for they returned the fire.

This was just what Buffalo Bill wanted, for the firing alarmed the horsemen and placed them on their guard, and he knew that the Indian volleys would be heard at the command and hasten them forward. Having dropped a couple of red-skins and several ponies, Buffalo Bill wheeled to the rightabout, dashed up to the top of a hill, and, signaling to the two whites to follow him, headed for the command at full speed. As he had anticipated, the two men were scouts with important dispatches for General Merritt, and Bill's bold act had not only saved their lives, but also the dispatches, and the result of it was that the Fifth Cavalry went at once into line of battle, while the Cheyennes also formed for battle, though evidently surprised at being headed off at that point. But they saw that they were double the force of the whites, and were determined upon a fight, and their chiefs reconnoitered carefully their foes' strength and position. Buffalo Bill also volunteered to go out and get a closer look at them, to see what they were up to, and General Merritt told him to do go, but not to venture too near and expose himself.

As he left the line two Indian horsemen also rode out from among their comrades, and one was some lengths in front of the other. At a glance Buffalo Bill saw that the two were full chiefs, and they had not advanced far toward each other when he discovered that he was the especial object of their attention. But though one waited, the other came on, and the scout and the chief came within a hundred yards of each other.

Then the Indian cried out in his own tongue:

"I know Pa-e-has-ka the Great White Hunter and want to fight him."

"Then come on, you red devil, and have it out," shouted back Buffalo Bill, and forgetting General Merritt's orders not to expose himself, and to the horror of the regiment, every man of whom saw him, as well as did the Indians, he dashed at full speed toward the chief, who likewise, with a wild yell rode toward him.

Together both fired, the chief with his rifle, and Buffalo Bill with his revolver, and down dropped both horses. Buffalo Bill nimbly caught on his feet, while the Indian was pinned by one leg under his and with his war-cry the scout rushed upon him. As he advanced the chief succeeded in releasing his leg from beneath his horse and again fired, as did Buffalo Bill, and both of them with revolvers. The Indian's bullet cut a slight gash in Bill's arm, while he struck the red-skin in the leg, and the next instant sprung upon him with his knife, which both had drawn.

The hand-to-hand fight was hardly five seconds in duration, and Buffalo Bill had driven his knife to the broad red breast, and then tore from his head the scalp and feather war-bonnet, and waving it over his head, shouted in ringing tones:

"Bravo! the first scalp to avenge Custer!"

A shout of warning from the cavalry caused him to turn quickly and he beheld the second chief riding down upon him at full speed. But Bill turned upon him, and a shot from his revolver got him another scalp. But hardly had he stooped to tear it from the skull, when the Indians, with wildest yells, charged upon him. They were nearer to him than was the regiment, and it looked bad for Buffalo Bill; but the gallant Fifth charged in splendid style, met the Indians in a savage fight, and then began to drive them in wild confusion, and pushed them back into the Agency a sorely whipped body of Cheyennes, and grieving over heavy losses.

Upon reaching the Agency Buffalo Bill learned that the two Indians he had killed in the duel were Yellow Hand and Red Knife, and Cut Nose, the father of the former swore some day to have the scout's scalp. But Buffalo Bill laughed lightly at this threat, evidently believing the old adage that "A threatened man is long lived."

Later, some contend, however, that Cody didn't really scalp Yellow Hand, he merely lifted up his hair.

Irma Hotel, Cody, Wyoming

Cody was established in 1895 by George T. Beck of Sheridan and Horace C. Alger with whom William F. Cody joined after learning of the proposed development from his son-in-law, one of the surveyors for the project. Prior to 1895 the area was generally known as DeMaris Springs after Charles DeMaris who first ran cattle in the area in the 1870's. The area was also sometimes referred to as Needle Plunge.

Irma Hotel, 1910

Cody heavily invested in the area. In addition to the hotel, named after his daughter, his enterprises included the Cody Trading Company, a livery stable and the Cody Enterprise. On the road to Yellowstone he also had the Wapiti Inn and the Pahaska Tepee, pictured above. His interest in the area attracted a spur line of the Burlington Northern. Unfortunately, Cody's business sense was less than his showmanship and he died January 10, 1917 in debt and pennyless at the home of his youngest sister, May Cody Decker, in Denver and was buried at public expense in Golden, where a small museum and the grave marker placed by his brother Elks honor his memory.

Cody Grave, Golden, Colorado

Cody's will indicated that it was his desire to be buried on Cedar Mountain near Cody, Wyoming. The Denver Post, the publisher of which had a financial interest in the residue of the Wild West Show, however, indicated that it was Cody's oral desire to be buried on Lookout Maintain overlooking Golden, a desire denied by Cody's friend Zane Gray. Upon his death, his body lay in state at the Colorado State House and on January 15, it was carried in a procession to the Elks Lodge at the corner of 14th and California where funeral services were conducted. A Masonic service was conducted upon his reinterment on June 3, 1917. Sometime later, supposedly, a veterans' organization from Cody dispatched an expedition to recover Cody's remains and return them to Cody for proper burial. The expedition, however, allegedly only made it as far as a saloon in Cheyenne. As a result, however, the City of Golden, surrounded the grave with an iron fence topped with barbs and took other security measures.

Burlington Station, Cody

William F. Cody

At age 15 Cody was employed by the Pony Express and was ultimately assigned to Slade's Division running the longest leg from Red Buttes Station to Rocky Ridge Station. When his relief rider was killed he covered a distance of 322 miles in 21 hours, 40 minutes using 21 horses.

As a scout for the Army, he received the Congressional Medal of Honor for gallantry at Platte River, Nebraska, April 26, 1872. the Medal was revoked shortly after his death in 1917, but his name was restored to the list of Medal of Honor recepients in 1989. The medal is on display in the William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody museuem in Cody. The name "Buffalo Bill" was recieved for killing 4,865 American bison over an 18 month period to feed workers on the Union Pacific.

Cody Road to Yellowstone

The Cody Road was used by Cody to provide access to the Eastern Entrance to Yellowstone Park, but due to its conditions over the 55 miles from Cody to the Park was not really suited for large scale motor transportation.

Cody Road to Yellowstone

In 1916, touring cars manufactured by White Motor Company of Cleveland, Ohio, were introduced into the park replacing stages previously used. Shortly thereafter the Burlington Northern undertook to improve the road and made its own arrangements with White for motor buses to carry tourists from Cody to the Park and began a nationwide campaign with other railroads promoting the park. White motor buses remained in use in the Park until the early 60's, but continued to be used in Glacier National Park until 1999, when metal fatigue problems arose. The metal fatique was as result of modifications made to the chassis when modernizing the running gear. Without the modifications it was determined that the vehicles, many of which were 65 years old, could have continued another 65 years.